Tuesday, August 14, 2012

One Month In

I can't believe I have been here a month already, and am honestly a little disappointed to think I only have 3 months left in Australia. I will continue to try to get as much out of my time here as I can and as the warmer months continue to approach, I can collect some better snapshots and take advantage of Sydney beaches.

As for today's agenda, I was able to meet with a Portfolio Manager of an American hedge fund which actually has an office here in lovely Sydney. The office is located in the historic part of the city called "The Rocks" which is also right on the water. Despite the location, the manager himself actually trades predominantly in the American markets (go figure) but I have a hard time believing he would trade the Sydney locale and weather for Greenwich, CT (where the fund's headquarters are). I really enjoyed getting to pick his brain on his trading strategy and get details about the firm itself and if their compliance department gives the go-ahead, it looks like I may be able to shadow his trading activities.

After the meeting, I sprinted to the nearest bus stop to get back to campus with classes on my schedule from 1-4 and then another from 4-6. With classes dominating my entire afternoon, I was invited to dinner with some Australian friends who have in a sense taken on a role that is essentially a host family and enjoyed some unreal chicken curry and plenty of Australian-grown fruit including a new staple in my diet; the kiwi.

With the time difference from here to the US, I wanted to wish a happy birthday to my brother Matt who is now 16 which didn't hit me until I just typed that number. Scary to think he is legally allowed to sit behind the wheel of a car especially judging by the way he drives the jetski.

Older buildings in "The Rocks"

 
Restaurant owned by famous LA Galaxy soccer player Kobe Jones (about as famous as soccer players get)


No comments:

Post a Comment